My Favorite Verb

Somewhere around age 10 I was still eating cereal on Saturday mornings and watching cartoons, in between which were broadcast the Schoolhouse Rock series of animations to teach children the basic points of American government, math, and language (to keep our brains from being too-far-rotted by Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Magilla Gorilla, I suppose).  Many of my own generation and even my daughter's can probably recall the lyrics to its Conjunction Junction or I Am a Bill, on Capitol Hill; in fact, singing one of those in front of my students will typically elicit a chuckle and a remnant of nostalgic recognition.  The more potent of the segments, for me, was the one on verbs: 

I get my thing in action (Verb!)
To be, to sing, to feel, to live (Verb!)
(That's what's happenin')

I put my heart in action (Verb!)
To run, to go, to get, to give (Verb!)
(You're what's happenin')*

And so it goes, showing a small boy with dark skin, fluffy hair, and a vivid imagination dreaming his way through a superhero movie and navigating his way through city streets and sentences with joy until finally making his way home and leaping into his mother's arms: "to love!"

The verb gives not only action but life to a sentence.  If I am partial to any part of speech, it is the verb, with its power and vitality (yes, geeky English types such as myself might anthropomorphize words - do not judge!).  And if I am partial to any particular verb, it is "to know."

What, you may ask, is so special about it?  First, and most obviously, I like the meaning: to perceive, understand, comprehend; to be aware of; to be acquainted with; to have knowledge of.  Who likes being in the dark, feeling left out?  Second, it really can't be on its own -- it needs an object (I know you; I know the answer; I know what you mean).  It's good for words to make the team effort (some verbs can be so arrogant and stand-offish - I'm looking at you, run).  It also is an old word, entering Old English as cnawen about a millennium ago.

It is an example of language's tendency to adapt and evolve, as the "k" was not originally silent.  I love the way the sounds of "k" followed by "n" in older forms of English are rough and roll around in my mouth.  

In Arabic, a word that means know is aerf (أعرف) It also includes a sound represented by the letter "ayn" or ع. This is a letter that doesn't exist in the English alphabet, so, in order for me to pronounce it, I need to form my mouth into a shape to which it is unaccustomed and produce a sound that is unfamiliar to my ears.  There's something to be said for the challenge of that.
And that brings me to my main point: I think the words that appeal to us reflect our personality.  Knowledge, the acquisition of information, the synthesis of new ideas -- these are all critical to me and to my life's work.  I want to know more than I have time to learn in this short life.  If you want to know me, you need to know that "to know" carries great weight with me.  

And that's what's happenin'.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole Basket

Bullfight

Comfort